What Do I Do After a Car Accident?
According to insurance industry estimates, an average driver will file a car accident claim about once every 17.9 years.
So if you obtained your driver’s license at 16 years old, the odds are relatively high that you will experience some type of collision by the age of 34, at the latest. However, you should have a total of three to four accidents over the course of your lifetime driving.
In the event of a crash, especially if injuries are involved, there are important steps to take in order to recover your entitled compensation. Failing to do so can jeopardize your ability to cover medical costs, property damage, and even loss of income without reaching into your own wallet.
Proper steps to take immediately after an accident include:
- Check yourself and your passengers for any serious injuries. If serious injuries are evident, get emergency medical attention right away.
- Contact police. If you are too hurt to document the scene and obtain contact information with the other driver involved in the accident, call law enforcement so they can file a police report. The report itself includes important details of the accident – such as the other party’s contact information and the damages involved – which can be used as evidence in your case.
- Exchange information with the other party and witnesses. Get the other driver’s name, phone number, address, driver’s license number, and license plate number. If witnesses were present at the time of the accident, get their contact information as well if they are willing to cooperate with the investigation.
- Call your insurance company. Inform your insurance provider about the accident and explain the facts clearly.
- Document the scene. Using the camera on your smartphone, take pictures of the accident scene. Make sure to capture the damage to all vehicles involved, the injuries of everyone involved, as well as the road and weather conditions.
- Contact a lawyer. If anyone is injured in the crash, it is imperative to seek the legal assistance of a personal injury attorney to ensure that you obtain the most favorable compensation possible.
If you sustained a serious injury in a car accident in Oklahoma, contact our Tulsa personal injury attorney at Saint & Watzke, PLLP and schedule a free consultation today.